You all know how seasonally obsessed I can get. I blame it on the fact that Florida completely lacks actual seasons. I mean, we are seriously weather confused down here to the point that 50 degree weather warrants full on winter gear complete with gloves and ski caps. Never mind the fact that we will be back in shorts and flip flops within a week. With that in mind, after a recent cool snap last week, and Starbucks bringing on the Eggnog lattes, I decided I would attempt an eggnog jello shot for our girly get together.
I made the first batch at Hunny’s house amid an evening of makeovers, pedicures, and a Walking Dead marathon (I’m so hooked on that show but I had to start at the beginning last weekend). I still had some of the Shine XXX Salted Caramel Whiskey, so I used it instead of rum or brandy for a sweet kick sans the extra sugar that I normally have to add if I use the latter. The flavors went together wonderfully with the Pumpkin Spice Eggnog that I picked up at Publix to use. I got both pumpkin spice and regular, and decided the pumpkin spice evened out the caramel with the eggnog. You may want to stick to plain, it really just depends on personal preference. We were wanting a quick fix and I was too excited to do the standard refrigerate overnight to let them firm up. So, I cheated and stuck them in the freezer for about 30-45 minutes to let them get firm (but not freeze). They turned out AMAZING! I had cut little squares of Glad Press and Seal (it stays put so much better than anything else I have tried) to cover each individual shot while they firmed up since the plastic shot glasses I got didn’t have lids.
After they were firmed (and Hunny and I went through 8 in the name of “quality control”) I was able to put them in the fridge. They transported perfectly in tupperware, and were just as fab the next day. The key for me was to wait to add the whipped cream and final sprinkle of nutmeg to the top until I was actually serving them. They were divine, and many people are requesting I make more. If you make them, I would love to see how they turn out! Take a picture, and enjoy!
- 1 cup water
- 1 pkg Knox unflavored Gelatin
- 1 cup eggnog (I used Pumpkin Spice Eggnog from Dairy case at Publix)
- ½ cup Shine XXX Salted Caramel Whiskey (you can use any brandy, rum, or whiskey. This is just my favorite way.)
- Nutmeg to taste
- Whipped cream
- plastic shot glasses
- Pam cooking spray (unflavored)
- Glad Press and Seal (if your shot glasses don't have lids)
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil
- Slowly stir in 1 package of Knox gelatin until dissolved.
- Set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes
- Measure 1 Cup of Eggnog
- Add ½ cup of Shine XXX Salted Caramel Whiskey (or rum or brandy)
- Stir the two together and add nutmeg to taste.
- Pour Eggnog mixture into cooled gelatin/water mixture and stir until blended.
- Spray plastic shot glasses with unflavored non-stick cooking spray to make for easy removal. Don't worry, you wont taste it.
- Pour into plastic shot glasses and cover each with either lid or a small square of the Press and Seal.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours until firm OR put in the freezer for 30-40 minutes to firm.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg on the top of each shot.
- They will store in the fridge for up to 3 days and maintain flavor.
- This recipe makes roughly 16 jello shots, so adjust according to your needs.